Mobile Integrated Into Marketing Strategy = Success & Increased Revenue, Part II May 16, 2010Posted by StrategicGrowth in marketing strategies, mobile, mobile coupons, Mobile Marketing, Social Media, Strategic Growth Concepts.
Tags: google mobile coupons, local business listings, Mobile Marketing, mobile marketing ROI, mobile websites, Nielsen, QR codes, SMS messaging, Social Media, Strategic Growth Concepts
Part II – Low-Cost / No-Cost Methods of Mobile Marketing
In Part I of our multi-part Mobile Marketing series we learned that Mobile Marketing is most effective when incorporated into an overall marketing strategy, and used as a supplement to the mediums you are already using.
In Part II of our series we’re going to discuss a variety of low-cost or no-cost methods of Mobile Marketing that a small business can utilize to promote their firm. So let’s look at some ways a small business without a substantial budget can incorporate Mobile Marketing into their existing marketing strategy:
- Local Business Listings – These are the free yellow page listings by Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and many other directories; and these directories are the resource that consumers will use to find your business – particularly when they are ‘on the road’ and searching on their mobile device. There are over 60 local business listing websites on the Internet in five different categories. They include the search engines, social communities, 411 websites (aka yellow page type websites), GPS websites and the age old business directory. Most of them are free but need to be ‘claimed’ by your company in order to insure they contain accurate information that drives customers to your business. Failure to ‘claim’ your listing may mean that inaccurate information about your firm is posted to them from other sources, or that someone else may hijack your listing for unscrupulous purposes. To effectively ‘claim’ your listings can be extremely time-consuming and tedious, therefore, an alternative option is our Local Business Listings Management Service which can handle this task for you.
- Google Mobile Coupons – Google is just one of the search engine directories where your business should be listed to insure it will be found via Internet or Mobile search, however, Google offers a distinctive advantage. For over a year now Google has been offering all businesses with a Google Local Business Listing the ability to include Mobile Coupons as part of their listing. The Mobile Coupon tool is FREE to use, and you can include multiple coupons with your listing. Then when your firm comes up in the search listings, potential customers will also see your Coupon. It could be just the advantage you need to make them pick your company over your competitor’s!
- Social Media – many of the most prominent social media sites now allow members to access them via their mobile phones, in fact, Facebook which boasts 400 million users, recently publicized statistics which indicate that more than 100 million of those users are using mobile phones to manage their account. This means if your firm already has a presence on social media, that you are likely already benefitting from Mobile Marketing without taking any additional actions. However, if you’re not yet participating in social media, then it’s time to get on board! If you would like to learn how social media can work for your firm and help to increase your Mobile Marketing presence, or if you would like assistance in developing and managing a social media program, please go to the social media section of our website.
- SMS Messaging (text messaging) – According to the Director of Research at Nielsen Mobile, “People look at every text message they get”, and they do so within 15 minutes; in fact, studies show that 97% of cell service subscribers read any text messages they get within 15 minutes. Can you think of any other advertising medium where you are almost guaranteed that every person targeted will see your message? In today’s “on-the-go” world, studies show that 84% of mobile phone users keep their device within 10 feet of them at all times. Considering that over 85% of potential consumers have a cell phone, that’s a huge potential customer base that’s easily accessible (as long as they have opted-in to receive messages from you)! Recent surveys also indicate that consumers are very accepting of mobile offers sent to their phones as long as they are from companies in which they have interest. The really good news is that the technology has advanced far enough that there are now SMS Mobile Marketing platforms where you can easily create your own text messaging campaigns within minutes – and starting as low as $25 per month! Learn more about your text messaging options on our website. Some ways you might use SMS messaging might include: coupons, contests, regular ‘tips’ about your product or service, and incorporating your KEY WORD and SHORT CODE in your print, billboard, radio or TV advertising to encourage people to opt-in to your mobile list so you can then contact them via SMS on a regular basis with offers designed to encourage them to do business with you again.
- Mobile Website – In the last 5 years it has become an imperative rather than an option to have an Internet website. Now, it is also becoming an imperative to have a mobile version of your website. These sites are optimized specifically for easy viewing on the wide variety of mobile phones available today and are NOT just scaled down versions of your Internet website. However, technology advances have also made this option much easier to implement, and services exist where you can build your own mobile website or have it done for you typically for several hundred dollars or less. Learn more about mobile website options on our website.
- QR Codes – Another very viable and cost-effective Mobile Marketing option are QR codes. These are 2-dimensional graphics (similar to the barcodes on products you buy at the grocery store) that contain information that can lead your customers to a website, display a coupon, provide driving directions or a map, provide contact information, or many other valuable uses. In order to ‘read’ a QR code a consumer downloads a QR code reader into their phone (though the software comes standard in Europe and Asia, that is not yet the case in the U.S. but likely will be soon), then they take a picture of the code with phone’s camera and the software automatically sends them to whatever content you had embedded within your code. You as an advertiser can place these codes in your print ads, on websites, on billboards, on t-shirts, in emails, or on any other printable or digital medium where a camera would be able to take a picture of it. Learn more about using QR Codes on our website.
This is just a brief overview a few of the many ways in which Mobile Marketing can be utilized to promote your business cost-effectively. If you would like to learn more about the ways Mobile Marketing can help your business specifically, please contact us via our website or email us at info@StrategicGrowthConcepts.com .
In Part III of this series, we’ll review case studies that show a variety of ways Mobile Marketing is being utilized by other small businesses so you can begin to consider how to apply this high ROI technology to your business. Future segments of the series will continue to explore Mobile Marketing, and attempt to answer any questions submitted to us about the medium. If you would like to have your questions about Mobile Marketing incorporated into our series, please submit them to us directly at info@StrategicGrowthConcepts.com and include “Mobile Marketing Questions” in the subject line of the email.